Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My little brothers of the Cameroon Grass-fields


I enjoy moving about discovering new places and people. My travels within the grass-fields has taken me to several localities. Children continue to play an important role in those communities. They help their parents at home and in the family farmlands, attend school, enjoy playing, developing their creativity. In some villages I found children who have their own farms. Proceeds are used to pay their fees, thus helping their parents, who may not be able to do so. Imagine a polygamous parent with three wives and about seventeen kids. It really becomes difficult for such a child to be able to attend school if he or she does not find a way to raise the needed finances.
The children continue to group under exceptional difficult conditions. Poor water conditions, inadequate health infrastructures, living on particular staple food, etc. However government has been doing the best it can to ensure that each Cameroonian child goes to school. Each year, a lot of new public schools are created by government. Unfortunately some kids are still unable to benefit as their parents cannot afford to send them to school. Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Mission bodies, the local councils, village development associations are also doing their best to ensure a brighter future for these kids. They are assisting with potable water installations, providing medicines, paying school fees especially for orphans.
As I move around what interests me most is that the kids are happy. Creative activities make up most of their day especially during holidays. These boys really do enjoy their childhood days. The photos taken on my trips remind me of my childhood days. I did similar things with my brothers and friends just like my small brothers of the Cameroon Grass-fields. That is our heritage. These photos will constitute a photographic exhibition "Growing up in the Grass-fields" being planned in the future by Mus'Art Gallery.



Photos by Peter Musa

No comments:

Post a Comment